Monday 16 September 2013

|| New Segment || What's In My Makeup Bag ||


Every woman (and occasionally some men) have one. Whether yours only contains 'the essentials': lip-gloss and concealer, or whether it is full of the beauty secrets behind your look. The Makeup Bag. Some are plain, while others are exciting. Some are full, while some others are barely even used. But we all have one.
My makeup bag is definitely something I couldn’t live without, (sounds undoubtedly shallow I know) but in all honestly I really don’t think I could. I have been prone to ‘Teenage Acne’ for as long as I can remember and concealer has coincided with being my best friend in those years. So in a sense I have always had a ‘makeup bag’. I suppose a makeup bag doesn’t have to be your typical run of the mill mini soap bag, which only holds makeup, it can in a sense be your soap-bag. I feel a makeup bag is literally whatever you hold your day-to-day makeup in, be that a standard ‘makeup bag’, or just scattered around your handbag.

Whilst applying my makeup for a day at college the other day, I thought; why not do a post of what’s in this small bag containing all my beauty secrets? So that’s what I’m doing.

This is the 'sacred' makeup bag. It was a gift my mum's best friend in New Zealand. I love it. It's the perfect size to hold all my makeup and I just think it's so pretty.


First item in the bag: my foundation. I've really struggled with foundation over the years, I've struggled with finding one that is the right colour for my complexion, doesn't make my skin flaky and actually does the job of covering my face and creating an even skin-tone. I actually got this particular one after my Grandma recommended it to me. It just makes my skin feel really smooth, and does the job it's supposed to without looking 'cakey'.
Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse - 010 Ivory 
(yes it's the palest colour...)







Second item in the bag: my pressed powder. For many years I never really understood the purpose of pressed powder but after borrowing my sister's (and resulting in me permanently 'borrowing' it) I finally get it. It stops your skin from looking shiny and does a pretty damn good job of keeping 'it all in tact.' This particular shade is probably a tad too dark for my skin tone as my sister is more tanned than myself, but it essentially does a pretty good job and since I don't use all the time it works okay for me.
Rimmel London Stay Matte Pressed Powder - 004 Sandstorm

Third item in the bag: my concealer. My true love. My lifesaver. My best friend (apologies to my human best friend) I literally do not know what I would do without this. This particular one was from my previous roommate and I am forever indebted to her for giving me such a wonderful concealer.
MAC Studio Finish Concealer - NW20

As you can see it is very well used...

Fourth item in the bag: my liquid eyeliner. I have always been a fan of eyeliner, particularly liquid. I love how sleek and sophisticated it can look, and I am a massive fan of the 60's flick. This particular one has always served me really well and I haven't had the need to explore different makes. It has a felt nib so is super easy to work with and the large handle helps maintain a steady grip.
Rimmel London Exaggerate Eye Liner - 001 100% Black




Fifth item in the bag: my eyebrow pencil. This was originally my mum's eyebrow pencil which I borrowed and obviously never gave back (if you're reading this mum; sorry.) Being blond means I have fair eyebrows, which I personally hate on myself - it looks as though I don't even have any eyebrows. I do tint them, however I prefer a 'fuller eyebrow' and this pencil does a wonderful job of making my eyebrows defined and full without looking as though I have just painted them - resulting in slug eyebrows.
MaxFactor Eyebrow Pencil - 2 Hazel


Sixth item in the bag: my mascara. Again, being blond means I don't have naturally dark eyelashes so mascara is a definite must-have for me. This particular one is an absolute gem; it defines my lashes and extends them without making them clumpy and 'spidery'.
This particular shade is brown, but I normally go for the black. However the brown works just as well. (It also means I can add a teeny bit to my eyebrows to help define and thicken them.)
L'oreal Paris Volume Million Lashes 


Seventh item in the bag: my foundation brush. The accompaniment to my wonderful foundation. This was again my mum's but she gave it to me as she didn't really use it. It fabulous. The brush itself is so smooth and fine and creates a really even complexion with the foundation: wonderful.
Ruby & Millie Face

Eighth item in the bag: my lipstick. I am a huge fan of red lipstick and after many moons of testing out many colours form various brands, I finally settled on this particular one. The colour (I feel) suits me well, and the actual lipstick itself is lovely. It's really smooth and satiny on my lips and it also tastes amazing. It also stays on really well, so doesn't need a great deal of re-application.
Rimmel London Lasting Finish by Kate - 107

Ninth item in the bag: the tweezers. My mum used to always tell me: "you need to get some good tweezers" and I never really listened. I didn't think there was such a thing as good and bad tweezers. I thought they were all the same, some were just slightly more expensive. However, I was given these at Christmas and I stand corrected. There is definitely a difference between good and bad tweezers, and these are definitely the good.  
LTD Tweezerman


As you can see, most of my makeup is relatively cheap, the most expensive is possible the Ruby & Millie foundation brush and the MAC concealer, but on the whole it is all within a reasonably priced budget.


Is your makeup bag something you are proud of and hopelessly devoted to? And what parts of your makeup bag make it so important?














2 comments:

  1. I love that your makeup is actually used regularly and that you've found your brands. I'm still in that looking-for-the-right-foundation-oh-my-god-this-concealer-seems-better-than-mine-is-that-mascara phase so I've got, like, twenty bottles of barely used foundation, never-been touched powder and maybe two mascara wands I've used a bit.

    xx
    Khenzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind - thank you! Oh i know that phase all too well!
      All the best,
      Libby
      xx

      Delete

© British Theory 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis